Saturday, April 3, 2021

Day 6 - Navajo Rocks

Woke up in our little round-about campsite this morning and made Mama and me some coffee. Sleep has been well needed after the long drive and I think it finally has caught up to the both of us. All the excitement of getting here and not wanting to miss a view keeps those eyelids longer than needed. Anna slept in a bit while I cleaned up and gathered our things together.

My plan was to ride Navajo Rocks today – the first bike ride of this journey. We got up to Navajo Rock, which is on the way to Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park, around 11am. Mama dropped me off and headed into town to do some laundry, while I road, but not before taking some departure shots. Navajo Rocks was broken up into about 7 trails that are reachable in a figure eight type pattern, with a few spin-offs. I was giddy with excitement to get on the trail. Super flowy, technical and the views were very distracting. About 6 or 7 miles in I wrecked which broke the back brake. Then wrecked again about 2 miles later because all I had was the front brake. I slid right down a big rock into some bushes. Slow rolled the remainder of the ride back. This was such a cool trail.


Anna got me picked up and we were off to Dead Horse State Park. Dead Horse is a state park and is located not but a few miles from Canyonlands. We rolled around the park for a bit and then ventured out to see if we could find Long Canyon Road. It was supposed to have an amazing campsite literally on the edge of a canyon. After some driving and backtracking, we found the spot. How amazing! I pitched up a tent to claim the spot and we headed into town to get some provisions.



We had stopped at the grocery store, City Market, while I dropped my bike off at Moab Cyclery to see if they could fix my brake without me leaving the bike. To my surprise, the guys grabbed the bike and went to work. He had the brake fixed and back in full order in less than 15 minutes. Put the bike on the rack and went into City Market to find Anna. Checked out and headed for some grub.


We had dinner at a sushi restaurant in downtown Moab. The sushi was amazing. Now, granted, we were starving. I don’t even think there was any sauce or crumbs left when we were down. Finished, we were off to our site. We were both ready to simply get there and relax. Fire built, souls refreshed, and after a few beers Papa went to bed.








No comments:

Post a Comment