Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 21 – And on the 7th Day he rested

Okay, we rested. We had all done some major walking over the last several days, so it turned out to be a day of - ‘Walk as little as possible’- day. We woke and watch the entire programming of the Tour de France. What an amazing stage. Lots of crashes and an outcome I would have never guessed. Looking forward to seeing some more TdF in the upcoming days. Being that we felt a little sporty, we also watched the Women’s World Cup Semi-Final game between Brasil and USA. Hoorah!! USA won in a penalty shoot-out in the end. What a dramatic nail biter. That was all before 11am!

During our morning lounging around, Anna and I sent the kids off to the local store. We were in need of some eggs and figured “they” could use some walking. We gave them 2500 colones and sent them on their way. The store is about a 10-15 minute walk, so we figured it would take them at least 30 minutes. When they didn’t show up after 35 minutes, I started to walk down the road and see if I could meet them. As I starting around the first turn, they were coming up the hill singing (literally singing). They ended up only breaking one egg and returned 1300 colones. I think I we just found our new grocery getters.
For the next hour or so the kids did some journaling. Somehow they have gotten away with not doing any for the last several days. Who can blame them? Today we were going to do a little bit of catching up though.

Thomas and I met Marco at 2pm over at the Hotel Caleja to go surf fishing. We walked over to Cemetary Island and managed to get to one of the premier fishing rocks before any of the locals did. Apparently that did not matter. The locals came right over to the rock with us and were literally fishing no more than two feet away from us. When I say a rock, I mean a rock that was 10’ by 8’. Ten feet of prime “front of the rock” casting “reel” estate. Now picture 9 people casting off of it. I’ve never seen anything like it. I constantly felt like lines were going to cross or someone was going to get tagged with a hook. I surrendered my pole and simply let Thomas fish. 

Third cast out and Thomas reeled in a puffer fish. Not what he was hoping for, but he enjoyed the anticipation to seeing what kind of fish it would be. The fish was downright beautiful. We pulled him up and had a chance to really inspect the animal. When I was pulling out the hook, you could see the beak it uses to eat the coral with. Pretty amazing animal. I re-baited the line and cast out again. On the next cast, Thomas pulled up a tropical fish. I have yet to figure out the species, but will look and see if I can find out what it is today. After that reeling, only Marco got a couple of miniature red snappers. For the remainder of the fishing, hardly anyone even got a nibble. 


Check out the concentration on this mug!!!

1 comment: