Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 31 - Scarlet Macaw

The Scarlet Macaw, Paco, yesterday was worth another mention. These birds are so colorful, you can not appreciate them until you are up close. The gradual color changes on their feather simply fascinated me. How this creature came to evolve is beyond me. Where most creatures adapt colors to blend in or to camouflage themselves with their surroundings to avoid prey, this guys says "Look at me!!".

We will be heading out on Sunday and are planning on stopping at the Curu Wildlife Refuge. This refuge has been releasing scarlet macaws back into the wild over the last few years. We really hope to see a pair there in the wild. We have yet to see any in flight since we have been here. Trust me when I say, "We've been looking."

On a side note, I've made the above picture of the feathers my desktop background and it looks awesome.

Paco at Isle of Tortuga. We feed him watermelon. He seemed to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment