Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 24 - On to the Waterfall - 2 Hour Journey...So was the Plan

This morning was to be one that should be remembered. Anna and I awoke around 5am. We stayed in bed and talked about what we were planning on doing today. My plan for early this morning was to borrow Jon’s beach cruiser and head into Montezuma to hit the ATM. My depleted wallet needed some revitalization. Before Jon left yesterday he gave us his combo to his shed. I figured I could get over to Montezuma and back by 7:30am. It would make for some good exercise and I could have breakfast with the kids as they would be getting up around 8am.

The plan was to go to Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve this morning after I got back from Montezuma. The weather looked good and skies were to be clear. This was to make for a great morning and early afternoon walk at the reserve. Around 6am I kissed Anna (Newly appointed Squirrel Whisperer) and she walked with me over to Jon and Connie’s place. I opened the shed, grabbed the bike and headed down the washed out streets of Cabuya.


It has been raining for the last two days so the roads are getting washed out in some places. I hardly saw anyone on my way into Montezuma, maybe two motorcycles. It was getting to be close to 6:30am as I hit the outskirts of Montezuma. “Perfect”, I thought. I figured I would hit the ATM and the Super for some fresh bread and should be back sooner than expected.

I got to the ATM. Slid in the card. Punched in my pin. The screen popped up a message: “Invalid Pin”. I had to stop and think. “I’ve not been gone that long to forget my pin, have I?” I thought. Then the light bulb went off in my head. I had slid in my credit card. It was the only one I brought. I for some reason thought I had my ATM Debit Card. Wrong!!! Looked like I was going to have to come back if I wanted to get any money. “Oh well”, I thought to myself, “Not going to make that mistake again”.

Got back to the house around 7:15am and Anna and Thomas were up. They were getting ready to play a wicked game of Chinese checkers. We talked about Cabo and the ATM mixup and agreed to simply take the bus in Montezuma at 9:15 this morning. We could do the Cabo Blanco Reserve tomorrow. Plus, we have been dying to see this amazing waterfall people have been telling us about that is a 2 hours walk down the beach from Montezuma. It is supposedly a cliff waterfall that empties right into the ocean. No roads lead to it and you only want to get to it during low tide. Today would be a good day for it.
We left the house at 9am and starting walking. As usual we looked at everything. Thomas found the coolest bug we have seen yet. It reminds me of a stink bug, but this one had what looked to be flaps on its two hind legs. The insect was a vibrant red and orange pattern and was simply spectacular. Of course we saw a whole bunch of spiders, butterflies, etc…until the bus finally came and picked us up.

The bus dropped us off in Montezuma and then we headed straight for the ATM. Luckily, this time I brought the correct card. Afterwards, we ate breakfast at Monte Sol for a power up breakfast. It was to be a long walk and we definitely needed the energy if we were to walk four hours. I had put a bunch of snacks and water in my backpack for later, but figure we better get our bellies full now.

Breakfast was delicious. Pretty much every meal here has been. Paid the tab and off we went. While I was waiting to pay the tab, Anna went next door to the grocery store and picked up a watermelon. Watermelon is in season and thought we would enjoy some on the beach before strolling down the strand. One of the main streets in Montezuma leads straight down to the beach. We followed it to the end and hopped on some nearby rocks. Looking at the ocean, Anna sliced into the melon and it was gone before we knew it. Break time was now over.

Two hour countdown was to being. Low tide today was at 12:01. So I thought. Actually, today low tide was at 1pm. I was a day off. For some reason I thought today was the 12th. That was going to be a problem. We continued to walk along the beach for about 15 minutes until we came across Ylang Ylang Spa Resort. This was to become Anna’s Shangra-la. Since high tide was to be later today, it would make walking the beach hard and in some places impossible. We figured we would camp at Ylang Ylang for a good 1 to 1.5 hours and then continue the journey.

Let me rephrase the previous comment. “I” figured we would camp at Ylang Ylang for a good 1 to 1.5 hours and continue the walk. Ylang Ylang is a beautiful resort with all the amenities one could want. We stopped in at the gift shop and grabbed a couple of items, along with several Imperials. After leaving, Anna noticed they also offered some amazing deals on massage packages. With all the current stress and anxiety she has been feeling lately, we both agreed it would be best she get an hour foot massage. But only if they could get her in for an appointment at 1pm. Guess what? They had an opening.

Anna got her hooves hammered on, while the kids and I swam in their splash pad. The pool was great. It was in a setting surrounded by some awesome tropical trees. Their property was spread across at least a half a kilometer of beach front. They had paths leading everywhere and the grounds were meticulously well maintained. I could definitely stay there for several nights.
What a Poser!!

When the kids and I got bored of swimming, we headed to the restaurant for some smoothies. Anna’s massage was to be done by 2:15, so we had at least 30 minutes until she would get done. We were the only ones at the restaurant. It was an open air restaurant facing the ocean. Before the ocean the property had several well aged palm trees that offered shade for the restaurant. While we were waiting for the smoothies, we were greeted by some capuchin monkeys traveling across the palms. Beautiful animals.


Anna finally came and we ended up ordering some sushi for the two of us. We ate and let the kids play until 4pm, at which time we need to head out to catch the bus back in Montezuma. We caught the bus right on time. What a great day!!

PURA VIDA!!!
Pictured on the grounds of Ylang Ylang. Awesome. Need to enlarge to get a really good look.

Wild turn out of the picture. Thomas is definitely moving in this one.

Arachnid pictured on the Ylang Ylang grounds. Not sure of the species.

Heading back to the bus. You can see the sky is looking ready to unload. I thought this one was postcard quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment